Thursday, October 3, 2013

Error while trying to export to PST using Export-Mailbox on Exchange 2007

This is probably valid for more than just Exchange 2007, but that's the version I was working on where I ran into the problem. After finally getting myself setup with a machine running a 32-bit Windows OS, and with both Exchange Management Tools and Outlook 2007 installed, I tried running my Export-Mailbox command. No go, and in checking the migration log file the error looked something like:

Error was found for user1 (user1@email.com) because: Error occurred in the step: Moving messages. Failed to copy messages to the destination mailbox store with error: 
MAPI or an unspecified service provider.
ID no: 00000000-0000-00000000, error code: -1056749164

I scratched my head on this one for a while after the Google results for the error code didn't show any results. Luckily my brain still works without Google (kind of...) and I had to smack myself a little for how simple the fix was. I didn't have full access to the mailboxes I was trying to export with the account I was logged in with! Once I realized that I simply ran

Add-MailboxPermission -Identity user1 -User myaccount -AccessRights FullAccess

Once that was done I tried my Export-Mailbox command again and viola! Exporting to PST files from the Exchange 2007 information store worked as expected.

No comments: