Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Problems with Suitcase X1 and Adobe CS4 products in OS X

We recently started an online development group and hired a web designers, so we purchased Adobe Web Premium CS4 to get her started. She complained about issues with Flash crashing and Dreamweaver going really slow right from the start and it took a while for me to figure it out. Then she eventually ended up getting a lot of font errors, whether Suitcase was running or not. I did the usual permissions repair and tried cleaning the font caches, but had no luck. I suspected Suitcase, but wasn't sure. She was running OS X 10.4.11, so I upgraded to 10.5.7, but that didn't help. I had noticed  in the Activity Monitor when Dreamweaver CS4 was opened, Suitcase X1's processor usage spiked and stayed high for quite some time. It also listed Suitcase X1 running in PowerPC mode, even though this was an Intel Core2Duo 2.66GHz Mac Pro. Upgrading to Suitcase Fusion fixed the problem and I haven't heard any complaints from her since. There must be some sort of compatibility issue between CS4 and Suitcase X1, whether it's strictly software related, or if it has to do with Suitcase X1 not running natively on an Intel Mac. Either way, upgrading Suitcase is relatively inexpensive and solved the issue right away.

I haven't heard about any issues with Flash CS4 since then either, however I did run across what appears to be an official Adobe developer blog that says they're working on some updates to fix some problems they're seeing. I don't have the exact link anymore since it was a few weeks ago, but if you search the Adobe Forums I'm sure you'll find it eventually: http://forums.adobe.com/community/flash

No comments: