Sunday, September 7, 2008

USB memory stick through the laundry?

Apparently I should check my pockets a little better before doing laundry. Last week, I left my 4GB Kingston DataTraveler memory stick in my pants pocket, and put it through the full-blown wash cycle. I didn't realize it until I took my clothes out and found it in the bottom of the washer. Luckily I didn't have anything important stored on it, but at the same time I really didn't feel like having to buy a new one. I thought there could be a chance that if I left it alone for a while and let it dry out, it may still work. I let a week go by, and popped it into my laptop tonight to check it out. Sure enough, it was recognized right away and popped up with all my files. I can definitely say I was surprised, but I'm definitely not complaining. So, the short version is if you get an electronic device wet, make sure you leave it alone for long enough for it to dry out completely. You may have heard this before, as I know I have, but here's an actual success story to help ease your worries if you run across this post before knowing whether you just ruined your hardware.

No comments: